Your Home May Not Be Your Castle
This article below involves a case that was of interest to the REALTORS® in our Homelife Office in Abbotsford | Mission. It should also be of interest to our clients owning and living in strata properties who see property values being diminished by the conduct of abusive neighbours.
It illustrates that there are limits to the concept of “a person’s home is their castle” when that home is part of the collective living arrangements found in a strata property development. However, as indicated by these facts, an order of sale is the last, not first, resort of a strata corporation when dealing with problem owners, or in this case the owners badly behaved son.
- The issue arose from the abusive and annoying behaviour of, primarily, the strata owner’s son, who lived in the unit with his mother, toward a number of neighbouring owners. Numerous meetings, warnings and fines did not change the behaviour.
- What remedies are available when someone disturbs the quiet enjoyment of others living in close proximity and, through their behavior, effectively decreases the value of the neighbouring units?
- How does one reconcile the right of quiet enjoyment in collective living arrangements with the principle of property ownership?
- Finally, the strata corporation sought relief from the courts
- In January 2012, the BC Supreme Court issued an order requiring the offending strata owner to list the unit for sale.
- Not surprisingly that order was appealed and in November 2013 the BC Court of Appeal upheld that decision requiring the unit to be sold.
- There are limits to the concept of “a person’s home is their castle” when that home is part of the collective living arrangements found in a strata property development.
300 – 3303 Immel St.Abbotsford BCV2X 5Y1
1 – 32540 Logan AveMissionBCV2V 6G3
O 604 859 3141 or 604 826 2699
F 604 859 5226 or 604 826 2621
Connect with us on Facebook:
Abbotsford real estate for sale, Abbotsford REALTORS®, and Abbotsford MLS® Listings. Access Abbotsford real estate listings, Abbotsford REALTORS®, new homes and Abbotsford foreclosures. We also have information on Abbotsford home selling, home buying and mortgages, movers and other realty services in Abbotsford and area.
Mission real estate for sale, Mission REALTORS®, and Mission MLS® Listings. Access Mission real estate listings, Mission REALTORS®, new homes and Mission foreclosures. We also have information on Mission home selling, home buying and mortgages, movers and other realty services in Mission and area.
Advantages for the Experienced Agent with HomeLife Glenayre Realty Co. Ltd.:
- Experienced Management
- Household name in local market
- Number one office in technology services
- Office of the future
- First paperless in Canada
- Latest web services including social networking